The Best POS System for Your Liquor Store: 4 Top Providers for 2024
Operating a liquor store without the right point of sale (POS) solution is like trying to craft a margarita without tequila — it just won’t work.
A POS system is foundational to the success of your liquor store. Not only does it handle all of your sales, but it also touches almost every other aspect of your small business.
Choosing the right POS system for your liquor store can have a major impact on your profits, customer satisfaction, and overall success — which is why it’s so important to choose the right one.
In this blog, we’ll talk through why your POS system matters, how to narrow down your options, and the top four POS systems for liquor stores on the market.
Why the Right POS System Matters for Your Liquor Store
A POS system designed specifically for the liquor industry is key to smooth operations and hefty profits.
Think of your POS system as your liquor store’s most capable employee. Its abilities go far beyond processing transactions; it keeps your shelves perfectly stocked with powerful inventory management features, helps you expand your loyal customer base, and fuels your store’s growth with data-driven insights.
Must-Have Features of Liquor Store POS Systems
Running a liquor store can be a profitable endeavor — but also a challenging one. In the tightly regulated alcohol industry, you need to guarantee your business’ compliance with the law to avoid hefty fines and penalties.
Along with navigating alcohol sales regulations, you must also tackle the intricacies of liquor inventory management. Your store will be home to hundreds if not thousands of bottles of everything from the most popular vodkas to the finest bourbons — and you need to keep track of every last one.
Fortunately, the right POS system can save you time on these tough tasks and keep your liquor store operating optimally. Here are a few of the most important features you need to keep an eye out for:
- Built-in age verification to ensure that your liquor store only sells to customers of legal drinking age
- Robust inventory management like case breaking features to make your dream of a perfectly stocked liquor store a reality
- Detailed reporting and analytics to show how your liquor store is performing financially
- E-commerce integration to offer online sales to your customers and boost your profits
Top Considerations When Choosing a POS System
Every small business is unique, and to find the best POS system for your liquor store, you’ll need to determine your needs and priorities. Decide which features you need — and which would be nice to have.
Along with features, there are other considerations to keep in mind as you hunt for the right liquor store POS system. Cost should be a major factor as you evaluate different options. Use these questions to determine whether the price is right:
- What is the total monthly cost for the system?
- Does the monthly cost include all available features, or will you have to pay extra for add-on tools like customer relationship management (CRM) software or inventory management tools?
- Does the provider offer a month-to-month option, or will you be locked into a long-term contract?
- Is 24/7 support included, or do you have to pay extra to get help on demand?
Along with the cost of the software subscription, you’ll also want to look into what hardware each provider requires you to have. Many POS systems are compatible with a variety of hardware, allowing you to use what you already have, but others require you to purchase or rent specific hardware systems.
The Best POS Systems for Liquor Stores
Now that we’ve covered the basics of POS systems and how you can use this list, let’s explore the top four options for liquor stores. We’ve broken down each provider’s offerings by key features, pricing, and customer reviews.
1. POS Nation
POS Nation is one of the top providers of POS solutions for liquor stores — and for good reason. Their liquor-specific POS system includes a wide range of features, but a few that stand out include:
- Mix and match pricing to create exciting promotions
- Case breaking to allow for inventory tracking at the case and bottle levels
- Shrinkage monitoring that gives you the power to monitor the impact of theft and spoilage
POS Nation has earned 4.7 out of five stars on Trustpilot. Here’s what one happy customer has to say about the POS system for liquor stores:
“I have dealt with POS nation for the last 10 years and they have the most outstanding sales and service you can find. They have always gone beyond your typical company! Highly highly recommend.” – Randy M.
You can get your custom quote for POS Nation’s POS system for liquor stores on their website.
2. mPower Beverage POS
mPower Beverage offers a specialty POS solution that promises to save liquor store owners time and keep their businesses running efficiently. Key features of their POS software include:
- Integration with accounting and e-commerce tools
- Multi-store management features to keep sales reports, promotions, and pricing in sync
- More than 70 standard reports to evaluate your business’ performance
mPower Beverage has generated 4.1 out of five stars on the platform Software Advice. Check out this review from a satisfied mPower user:
“The technical support team is extremely responsive each time we call with an issue. The price of this software, along with the invaluable support offered at an annual fee, and the daily back-up is a bargain! We definitely will be continuing with this software.” – Maureen A.
mPower Beverage’s pricing plans start at $1,000 upfront and $120 monthly afterward.
Square is well-known for its simplicity and ease of use. It offers the essential POS features small business owners need in a straightforward layout. Its main features include:
- Easy discounting on specific products or categories
- The ability to start a membership program and charge a monthly fee
- An e-commerce platform to allow online sales
Square’s customers give it 4.3 out of five stars on Trustpilot. Here’s what one of them thinks of the software:
“I have been with Square for over 12 years. Square has always had my back when needed. I have always had great experiences with their customer service and using Square for my business is easy and reliable.” – Eve G.
Square offers three tiers of service, but their most popular plan starts at $60 per month.
4. Bottle POS
We’ve saved the best for last! Bottle POS is a powerful POS solution designed specifically to meet the needs of liquor store owners just like you. This software has everything you need to keep your shelves well-stocked, your customers happy, and your sales high. Here’s a peek at what Bottle POS has to offer:
- Automated purchase orders and automated invoicing to make inventory management a breeze
- An e-commerce platform created specifically for alcohol sales
- Automated ranking to show you which bottles are your customers most and least favorites
- A built-in customer loyalty program to help you grow a thriving customer base.
Bottle POS’ customers appreciate what the software has to offer, giving it a 4.9 out of five star rating on Trustpilot. Check out this user’s thoughts:
“I am extremely very happy with BottlePos. It's been about a month and so far, things have been very positive. Been running liquor stores for over 20 years and have used multiple different POS systems, but BottlePos is very good since it is designed mainly for liquor stores.” – Universal Liquors
Bottle POS offers custom solutions and pricing to meet your liquor store’s unique needs. Use the build and price tool to generate an instant quote for exactly what you need.
Raise a Toast to Liquor Store Success With Bottle POS
As you plan for your most profitable year yet in 2024, having the right tools at your fingertips is critical. Your point of sale system is the most valuable member of your team, processing all of your sales, balancing your inventory, providing detailed sales reports, and helping you build customer satisfaction with a loyalty program and enticing promotions.
That’s why it’s so important to choose the right one. If you’re looking for a POS solution capable of all these tasks and more, Bottle POS is just what you need.
See Bottle POS in action by scheduling a live demo today!